Saturday, August 7, 2010

1000 paper cranes

In Japanese folklore, it is said that someone who folds a thousand paper cranes (Senbazuru)  will be granted a wish by a crane (one of the mystical creatures that the Japanese believe live for a thousand years) these wishes generally tend to be for happiness, long life, fertility, health, or wealth. It is truly a labor of love.
 Usually this task is taken on by a bride set to finish the task by her wedding day in hopes of being granted a marriage filled with happiness and prosperity.  I don't know about any of you, but in the months leading up to my wedding tediously folding little pieces of paper was the last thing on my mind.
Recently Ive decided I need to find something that will occupy my time and relax my mind into total ZEN.  Ive tasked myself with folding 1000 paper cranes so that my heart's desire comes true..  I know I know, how the hell can one find origami relaxing?  It is though.

http://www.informeddemocracy.com/sadako/fold/folding.html

It is also said that the task does not need to be completed by a single person, in fact the more people who help in the task, the greater the love and the stronger the wish.
1 down 999 to go.... donations of lovingly made paper cranes are gladly accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment