After over a month telling our counselor that we would attend a local loss support group, we went. I work as a therapist/counselor and I know that peer led support groups CAN be helpful sometimes. I also have plenty of clients who yes me to death promissing they will try something and never do. I didn't want to be one of those clients so I fought through all of my reservations about it and just went.
We may never go back. We may give it one more try, but for now we are on the fence.
What are the reasons we aren't very excited?
It did not give us any shred ofhope, hearing the other peoples stories broke my heart over and over again. I cried about it for 2 hours. One lady told her story and she was crying about the loss and her experience, it had been 20 years. 20 years later she was crying about it the way I cry now. It scared me. I can't hold on to this much pain for the next 20 years, it will kill me. I am strong, but not that strong. I am also drawn to helping people (my profession), so all I had going through my head were resources some of these people could use as well as coping skills for them to try so that they could build and keep healthy relationships with others and use them as a support system. I had a hard time seperating and turning those skills off. I was suppose to be there to help myself and I found it difficult.
It also made us realize that even tho we are hurting, we are doing ok. Some of the people there weren't ok and I felt as tho it was sucking us back into the dark place we fought for 2 months to get out of. I feel blessed and thankful everyday that I have my husband, my family, and my friends. We have a good support system that is there for us.
We will be ok.
We have done individual therapy but not group therapy. I think you just need to figure out what works for you and go for it.
ReplyDelete